Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Real Unspoken Enemy in Africa: The Plastic Chair

Some people say the mosquito is the silent enemy (or killer) in Africa, and while I would agree that the mosquito is a horrible creature, I think that it has a strong competitor in the competition for awfulness: The Plastic Chair.

Millions, if not billions, of plastic chairs exist across the continent just lying in wait ready to pounce on unsuspecting victims. In only two and a half days of orientation/development training at the University it’s claimed 5 victims. One minute you are sitting quietly, the next minute the legs are giving way and if you are lucky you can jump up to avoid the bumps, bruises and scrapes that are awaiting your fall, but no one escapes the embarrassment and shame of the broken and twisted chair. I myself have been a victim twice in my life, but thankfully I have avoided it thus far in my stay. I’m sure I will fall into its trap again before my 5 months is over. I do not look forward to the day but know it is only right around the corner waiting… resting low like a lion ready to pounce.

1 comment:

ange said...

Uhh. The dreaded plastic chair. Africa should be introduced to the more user friendly "camp chair". Think of how many lives could be saved annually.