Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Skittle Tree

Growing up I was one of the youngest in my group of cousins for several years. And even after my cousin and sister were born they were still too little to play with the big kids so I spent many years as the youngest. My older cousins lived very close by and we hung out often. I lived in a duplex with my parents and we had a nice big backyard with a swing set and some great climbing trees.

One day my cousins and I were playing outside when my cousin Waeva told me that if I planted Skittles they would grow into a Skittle tree. Of course I believed her. Partially because I was a hopeful kid who believed her older cousin, but mostly because I was a gullible dolt. I watered my Skittle patch faithfully for several days just waiting to find a sprout. One day my dad saw me carrying my little watering can out to the yard and asked what I was doing. That's when he broke the news that I had been tricked by my cousin and there would be no Skittle tree growing in my yard and letting me taste the rainbow.

Sad story.

To this day I can't help but think about this story whenever I see a bag of Skittles.

No comments: