Saturday, March 3, 2012

365: Fun Food Facts


I've been feeling extremely fatigued lately and I've just been chalking it up to first year faculty stress. But this week I noticed I was getting more headaches than usual and that when I was leaned over for more than a moment I was feeling dizzy. Anemia runs in my family and is more likely to happen to vegetarians so I decided that I needed to make a more concerted effort to pump up my iron levels. Plant based iron is harder for the body to absorb than animal-based iron, but if you pair it with vitamin C it does a much more efficient job. So my love and I have been working this week to be more intentional with our food choices. This morning she cheffed me up some spinach, red pepper and garlic eggs and cut up the pineapple we got yesterday. The spinach has lots of iron and both the pineapple and red bell peppers pack lots of vitamin c. In fact, red bell peppers have more vitamin c than an orange! Bet you didn't know that did ya? Paired with a multivitamin and some zinc I'm hope my vitamin packed meals are helping boost my blood and maybe even ramp up the old immune system so it can kick this poison oak's ass!

No comments: