Sunday, February 6, 2011

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old...

My sister recently wrote about her time in the Girl Scouts and now I have Make New Friends stuck in my head. Which brings me to the subject of friends. I have a couple of things to say about this topic, but in the interest of not writing marathon posts I've decided to break them up.
 
Recently my dearest BIL told my sister she needed to get friends other than me. As if! She had to patiently explain to him that it is just coincidence that two of the awesomest people on the planet happen to be sisters and naturally, when two awesome people find each other they are of course going to be friends. So get over it. We are bffs and always will be. 

There are several good things about having your bff being also your sister. There is nearly a complete lack of formality. My sister doesn't have to clean up her house to have me over, I don't have to worry about wearing dirty sweatpants over to her house, I can call her and say "Hey, I'm around the corner from your school and I need to get some groceries, wanna go to Target with me?" And the list goes on and on.

Another good thing (at least for us) is that you can never really get mad at your sister bff. Even if we are being annoying to each other we get over it in about 5 minutes. Hello, she's my sister. Like I could ever hate her guts. And if we do get annoyed with each other we can just get out of each other's way for a little bit and it's not a big stinking deal. We just call each other later. Not that we really ever get in fights. Like I said before, we're awesome. 

My final point: we have a shared history. We've spent all of our lives together. This allows us to speak almost in code; certain phrases and words that mean nothing to other people bring back memories and context for us (e.g. "Get your own bagel boy!" or "HILLS!!!"). I almost always know where she's coming from and she gets things about me that no one else would. 

I know not everyone has this relationship with their sisters. And I know that I specifically mention my sister Leslie in this post but I also have the same relationship with Hilary. She just lives farther away and is younger so the relationship is slightly different, but still strong. It makes me sad that others don't have the same relationship with their sisters. Most of the best memories and moments of my life include my sisters. So even if I have other friends, and even if I meet new friends, my sisters will always, always be two of my best friends.

2 comments:

Leslie Reed said...

Awwww. I almost cried. But I didnt. Cause I dont cry. Kthxbye xoxoxo

Lindsay Briggs said...

Only at your wedding. Hysterically. Ahahaha.