Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sister Power!

If you are a frequent reader you've probably noticed that my sisters come up often in my blog posts. And that's because we're all besties. I always think it's funny when people comment about how close my sisters and I are, mainly because I couldn't imagine it any other way. That's not to say I can't imagine a world where other people don't adore their sisters or brothers because neither one of my parents are close to their sisters or brothers (and actively dislike their siblings in some cases), and in fact, I see more non-adoring siblings than adoring ones. But for me personally, I can't imagine what my life would be like without them. Even though I am the oldest and technically lived without any siblings for 4 and a half years of my life, I can't remember my life without sisters. Mostly it's because I have a crappy memory, but when I look back at my childhood most of my favorite memories (and certainly the funniest ones) involve them. I would not be who I am without my sisters, and probably even more so, without being the oldest sister. I can't say for sure how each of us would be different if we weren't born into the birth order we were, but I think where we were born into relation with each other has really shaped who were are as people.

Some of the things I like best about having sisters are the following:
  • I almost always have someone to hang out with. This has been changed somewhat recently by Leslie getting married and Hilary moving away to Michigan for vet school, but we still make time for each other whenever we can. And even when we aren't face-to-face we are still involved with each other's lives via phone, texts, emails, Facebook, etc.
  • I have a shared history with my sisters. Whether it is recounting old stories that are hilarious or being able to communicate in some shorthand kind of way it's nice to know that I don't always have to explain everything to them because they just "get it."
  • It doesn't matter what we do we always have fun. Whether we are watching a movie, going to Target, having study tables, or just staring at each other and laughing (in a good way!) I never feel like I'd rather be somewhere else. Even when one of us is crabby we can usually find a way to get out of the mood and still have fun. When I have to leave the company of my sisters I almost always feel a little sad. And if my sisters are hanging out without me I feel extra sad because I know they are having so much fun.
  • I know my sisters and I love and appreciate each other no matter what. Even if we make fun of each other or don't always agree on issues, I know that we love each other despite all of those other things. I don't think there is anything that my sisters could do that would make me love them any less and I feel like we are supportive of each other through good times and bad.
I think one of the most important things that other people need to know about us is that you better not try and divide and conquer us. I'm just going to put it out there: we're damn fierce as a trio. You aren't just going up against one of us, you are going up against three of us. I will karate chop you in the throat if you mess with one of my sisters.

Although not oppositional the next point is semi-related: I think that one of the things that our respective partners have to know is that you don't just get one of us with your relationship, you get all of us. I know that was one of the hardest adjustments for Clint when he married Leslie. He didn't realize the extent to which he was getting a wife AND two sister in laws. The relationship he has with his sister is no where near similar to ours so he didn't expect the degree that he would be intertwined with us. Ange learned and adapted more quickly than Clint, but I think it was still somewhat of a shock to the system in the beginning. Hilary likes to try and hide her romantic partners from us, but I think once she realizes that the benefits of having nosy ned sisters far outweighs the negatives she'll come around. She just hasn't met anyone we think is good enough for her yet, so hiding the losers away is fine. When she's met "the one" I think she'll realize that one of the qualities he exhibits will be a love of her AND her family. I can say this because I am the oldest sister and therefore the wisest :)

Anyway, hopefully this gave you a little more insight to my relationship with my sisters. I think I'm going to start posting some funny sister stories in the near future so hopefully you will enjoy them as much as I do.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Yay for siblings!! I'm so happy to see other people have these kinds of relationships with their siblings. :)