Thursday, June 25, 2009

People Are Ridiculous: Part 783649831

I know times are tough. The economy is crappy, people are watching their money closer than ever, and we're all looking to get a good deal. But let's be reasonable.

I was recently reading an article about GM going out of business and people hoping to get a deal on a car. Now it's one thing to get a deal, but it's another to think you're going to get a brand new car for half price.

I remember talking to my real estate lady a while back. This was before times were this tough, but it was still considered a "buyer's market." She said that some people think this means you can demand a really (dumb) low price and expect to get top notch stuff.

I have been seeing examples of this all week. I have a few items up for sale on Craigslist. I've sold plenty of things on the site in the past and I've seen my fair share of ridiculous emails. But it seems like it is an overwhelming majority of people are acting stupid these days. I've had 6 things listed and so far only sold one. This is a rarity for me. I am reasonable person. I don't like piece of shit stuff for exorbitant prices. So why do all the crazies out there have to find my stuff and send me irritating emails?

A few case examples:
  • I have a grill for sale. Nice model, needs a new starter. Tank and cover included. Price $50. I get an email that says "My best offer is $15. Please respond." Uh, seriously? Less than a third of the price? You don't even get a response to that under normal conditions. And your short and snappy attitude? And no name? Eff off idiot.
  • I had a guy email me about a solid wood armoire I am selling for $100. After answering his question about whether or not it was solid wood and not particle board (which I said in the ad mind you) he emails me and says "I'll take it, but I'm not paying more than $50 for it. I can pick it up Saturday. Let me know if that is ok." NO, it isn't. At least his prior email was semi-polite so I sent him an email that said "No, $50 is not acceptable. Thanks anyway."
So I ask, what the hell??? I am not some desperate crack-whore who needs the funds. I'm just trying to get rid of some extra shit I don't need.

Anyway, if you are in need of a gas grill, a lawn mower, an old tv, a real wood armoire, or a dog cage let me know!

No comments: