Thursday, June 25, 2009

The King of Pop: Saddest Day Ever

I am still in shock. I can't believe that Michael Jackson is dead. I loved that man so much. I know he had some issues and had a troubled spirit, but his music is the best ever. I have so many good memories and funny stories that revolve around him and his music. Many people know my love of MJ...I received many many texts, calls and messages within the hours after his death. When I got home and checked my Facebook, I noticed that 90% of the Facebook updates in the past 4 hours were about him. All the news sites and all over tv are carrying coverage. I think the entire world is mourning. The last time I can remember something this big was when Princess Diana died.

Some random bits and pieces:
  • MJ was a HOOSIER! Yay for Indiana!
  • I had a Michael Jackson Barbie-type doll when I was little. Complete with sparkly glove.
  • My roommate in college and I were both MJ fanatics. We used to rock out in the dorm and dance wildly to all the great tunes he had.
  • I scared Nubian Diva to death and made her think we were going to be forcibly removed from Target one day after work. It was right after the 25th Anniversary Thriller CD was released and I was browsing the CD section and noticed that they had a double greatest hits cd. I was shocked and appalled that the cd did NOT have PYT on it! How could you have a greatest hits CD without PYT??? Preposterous! So I decided to sing some A cappella PYT. She said that crazy white girls could get away with that kind of thing, but she would get kicked out for sure if she pulled a stunt like that. Anytime I want to make her laugh I just have to launch into "I want to loooooooooove you...."
  • Ange & I were very seriously considering going to London in August to see him in concert. I am a member of the Michael Jackson fan club (told you I was a fanatic!) and had gotten a secret code for pre-sale tickets and when the day came I actually secured some! I guess fortunately now, we decided that we weren't quite rich enough for a UK tour and didn't go through with the purchase. I was holding out that he was going to make it to the US...
  • I just ran to return a DVD to the video store and not one, but two cars drove by BLASTING MJ songs. It's funny how small things can make you feel connected in a global way.
I know I'll be rocking out to Michael Jackson CD's for the rest of the week. Hopefully you'll take a moment to remember his awesome musical talent. RIP.

No comments: