Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dog Dossier: Daisy


Aliases: Black & Tan, Baby Dog, Daisy Mae, Daisy Maisy, Maisy, Maisy Mouse, Little Brute, Brat Dog, Crazy Daisy, Naughty Dog, Daze, Mary Jane Rotten Crotch

Back Story: Daisy was the first dog fully owned by me. When I was looking for a house I knew I wanted a house with a yard so I could have a dog. Little did I realize that I would one day end up with 5. After finding the perfect house with a very large fenced in yard I started thinking about a dog. I have a soft-spot for mutts, having grew up with the greatest little mutt that every walked the planet, so I knew that at the very least I needed some kind of rescued dog. I started seeing Miniature Pinschers (also known as Min Pins) everywhere and began to fall in love with them. They were just so cute. At the time I also belonged to Indy Freecycle which is an internet group that strives to recycle things for free to avoid throwing crap into landfills. They used to allow animals though I'm not sure about that now. I had been eyeing the animal posts that came out and one day there was an ad not only for a free Min Pin but it also came with a sad story about how she was at the end of her days at the shelter she was at in Terre Haute and if someone didn't take her ASAP she would be put to sleep. I was sold. The lady had to bring her that day, but I was at work at the time. I told her my (now ex) girlfriend was home and the dog could be dropped off with her. Eagerly anticipating my new dog I waited and waited for Shelly to call with news. When she finally called she said "Uh, the dog's here. But I don't think she's a Min Pin." As soon as I got off work I raced home to check her out. Ok, so maybe she wasn't a full-blooded Min Pin but she was black and tan and awfully cute. I loved her anyway. So the lady said that her name was Winnie which I thought was the dumbest name ever so I decided to re-name her. She was as pretty as a flower so she was then called Daisy. Little did I know that my sweet little flower would turn out to be a royal pain in the ass (but still cute!)

Quickly she realized how to get out of her collar, how to fling herself off the deck and run like a maniac through the neighborhood, and how to squeeze past you and bolt out the door if you weren't watching vigilantly. I quickly realized that she actually liked to be spanked (the harder the better...she's truly into S&M), had some screws loose, would forever have to wear a harness and be chained up when in the backyard even with a 6 foot tall privacy fence, my yard would always look like crap, and the house had to be thoroughly doggie proofed forever or she'd chew me down to the crawl space.

After only a few short months I experienced a sad loss. Daisy bolted out the door and could not be found anywhere. I looked and looked and looked but no Daisy. I hung up signs, I checked the Pound and Humane Society, but no trace. After being sad for a few weeks I tried to move on. Then one day out of the blue, my mom and sister were leaving my house when Daisy bolted in front of their car in the middle of the busy street in front of my house. They screeched on their brakes, looked at each other and said "Wasn't that Daisy?" They opened the door to the car and she jumped right in. They drove back to my house and said "Look what I found!" I was in disbelief! It had been well over a month since she was last seen! Where the heck was she? Apparently she wandered into someone's house and they'd been taking care of her for a month. I saw that she was wearing a new collar and some vet tags. I called the vet, told them the situation and they gave me the number to the people who had been taking care of her. Now the next part might sound mean, but hear me out. It was an older couple she had been living with. The man had Parkinson's and the wife had Alzheimer's. Of course I was like, oh geez. How can I possibly take her away from a little old couple? Well two things made it easier. One, she was mine. Sorry, but it's true. I had posted signs EVERYWHERE...sorry they didn't see them, but whatever. Secondly the vet said that they had experienced the loss of two pets that year. Apparently they had been mauled by the next door neighbor's dogs. If they were incapacitated to the point that they couldn't prevent their dogs from dying then Daisy didn't have much hope. I called them up and we settled the issue.

Now I'd like to say that she's never gotten out since then, but that would be a lie. This is one rascally dog we're talking about. There are some days I wish she would runaway...but not really. She may be one of the naughtiest dogs to ever grace this planet, but truly, she is very sweet, silly and cute and you just can't help falling in love with her. She makes me laugh most of the time and no matter what, she'll always be my first solo "adoption." And come on...she's a good story to tell!

Likes: Rolling around on the floor itching her back, digging up the yard, chewing up things, running away, rolling in smelly things, being spanked, her belly rubbed, wrestling with her sister, being chased, riding in the car, sleeping in bed with mommies

Dislikes: Being told "no, no," being woken up suddenly, being touched by Sam, sharing food, being clean

No comments: